Part 2 - Interacting with others on screen: how video call communication shapes participation differently compared to a group around a table.
Just as round a table, participation online varies according to how many people are present, and how well they know each other. We can be the equivalent distance of across the table from someone when we are having an on screen conversation, usually less! but the gulf between us can often feel much wider. Aside from that, there are also some distinctions in how and what we communicate. In complex problem solving team activities, there is evidence for:
- reduction in challenge and support of ideas.
- fewer contributions and participation overall.
- less insight or break through ideas.
- more generalisations and rush to make connections without evidence.
- more risk averse options.